Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Profound Love

Today was a great day.
We were supposed to do construction but when we woke up it was pouring rain. So we stayed at the school instead. It was a routine day here, which is of course amazing.
I did my cooking class which turned out so well. There were about fifteen kids and they were all so excited to be there. They all sat quietly as i demonstrated, and were patient waiting for their turn to stir. We made muddy buddies. I was kind of nervous that they wouldn't like them because they're so different from what they're used to. They seemed to love them though. I mean i guess all kids like super-sweet things. I had like all my favorite kids in the class. Sanjay and Naveen both switched to be able to come to it. I was so happy.
After dinner Naveen had a fever so i held him for a while and put him to bed early.
The Hendershots, the directors here, have a little girl named belle and it was her second birthday today. They had cake for every single student so we handed it out after dinner.


I helped Katie with her dance class in the afternoon

Enjoying the muddy buddies


Enjoying the cake


Something Kristin said at dinner tonight really struck a chord with me. She was talking about what rising star really means to her. She said it's about two things; love, and family.
The love that the kids and people here radiate is just so overwhelming. Everyone is so ready to give you everything they have inside of them. The exchange of love with such innocent, precious children here is something that i have never experienced before, and i don't expect to find anywhere else. I came here to help these children, but over the past three weeks they have done more for me than i ever could have imagined. I know now what the love felt by a mother or a father is like. Unconditional love. The kind of love that you would sacrifice anything for. It really is one giant family here. Like Kristin said, you're part of the family as soon as you arrive here. I was their adopted uncle as soon as they met me.
My experience here is something that i will never forget. The people here have touched me so deeply that they will always be engraved in my heart. When you receive so much love, and give back as much as you possibly can, you are liberated in a way.
I will always know that no matter how awful and hateful the world around me is, there will always be a place where love, in abundance, is totally free.
I feel like i can say, and say it honestly, that i have met angels.
Rising Star has changed me. More than i ever thought it could, and my gratitude and respect for this amazing organization is so great.
Profound love. Those are the best words i can find to describe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment